Day 9 - My first Saturday in KL. I took a 20 minute taxi to the Stadium Putra before noon to watch the semifinals of the Proton Malaysian Open; professional badminton. This is a major sport in Malaysia. There was a lot of anticipation to see Malaysia's world #1 Lee Chong Wei. After four hours of doubles, mixed doubles, etc., and ~2 hours before Lee Chong Wei's match, I decided to leave. I got to the hotel in time to see him win; much better view in TV.
I then walked across the street to the Pavilion Shopping Center to get a
pint at Malones from "G"(my personal bartender) and noticed something was different about the crowd. Not only was it super crowded but they were mostly Yanks. It turns out that the Nimitz class supercarrier the USS Carl Vinson, call sign "Golden Eagle" had docked and 5000 of our finest were in town for three days. "Vis Per Mare" means "Strength from the Sea."


No comments:
Post a Comment